Wednesday, January 5, 2011

There She Blows!


I blew my weekly allowance on the first week! I'm not just saying this... but I really expected this to happen. My weekly allowance of $50 is a guide to help me stay within reasonable spending limits for my family's needs. I know from experience that many weeks I can stay under this allowance and I have some rebate money coming that will make up for this overage. It was well worth going over budget this week too because we were completely out of meat, making it very hard to put together a meal! It was either put out some dough in exchange for meat or put out lots of dough eating out! Here's the 411 on my meat purchase:

Safeway currently has a BOGO FREE Sale on Select Meat Products

Rancher's Reserve Boneless Beef Chuck Pot or Shoulder Roast
  • Regular Price $4.29 per lb
  • Sale Price with BOGO discount $2.15

Eating Right Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts

  • Regular Price $3.49 per lb
  • Sale Price with BOGO discount $1.75

93% or 90% Sirloin Lean Ground Beef

  • Regular Price $4.49 per lb
  • Sale Price with BOGO discount $2.25

I ended up purchasing 2 3-lb roasts, approximately 8 lbs of lean ground beef and 7 lbs of skinless, boneless chicken breasts. My total spent was $40.93. Weekly Allowance Remaining ($10.83).

Tip: A few months ago, after months of no good buys on ground beef prices, I decided to check out the price of meats at Costco. I looked at the packs of meat I use to buy there, a package of 5 individual 1-lb frozen bricks that are 93/7 lean ground beef. The price works out to about $2.75 per lb, which I have determined is a decent price. The cheapest I seem to be able to get ground beef anywhere else is $1.79 per pound (and thats rare) for 80/20. I realized that for about $1 more per meal, I was feeding my family meat that was much healthier and therefore well worth the extra money. I was quite pleased to get the above meat for $2.25 per lb!

No comments:

Post a Comment